Activist Aisha Yesufu seeks N100 billion donation for Peter Obi’s campaign
Popular activist, Aisha Yesufu has taken to social media to solicit the donation of N100 billion for the sole purpose of Peter Obi’s presidential campaign.
The activist in a tweet estimated that the amount of a presidential campaign costs billions, thus suggesting that the “OBIDients” (Peter Obi’s supporters) raise 100 billion naira.
She, however, pointed out that after an account is created for this purpose, strict measures must be taken to ensure accountability and transparency.
What Yesufu Says
The activist in his Twitter feed wrote, “The presidential campaign is expensive! He needs billions! Can we raise 100 billion? Can Peter Obi set up an account, Gofundme, mobile payment for donations to get started? There must be strict measures to ensure accountability and transparency.
- “The most important factor for an average politician is either money or access to money. I believe that with Peter Obi, people have to contribute that money. There is no money to state on which Peter Obi will depend or even state apparatuses.
- “There is no time. Plans should be in high gear now. Other candidates have the luxury of time. Peter Obi is not doing it and so things should be in motion.
- “People are ready to give. Peter Obi should have his financial team set up the mandatory accounts, Gofundme, the mobile payment system and launch the fundraising campaign. Not one that different groups or people will put together
- “This election is now blatantly a survival election for many Nigerians and we need to put our money where our votes are. We will have to be the ones who donate to our candidates. People must be power brokers!
- “100 billion is doable. Our little money when added up by many of us will lead to this sum. Let’s not be afraid. Let me start with Diaspora Nigerians If 1,000,000 Diaspora Nigerians donate $100, that will be $100,000,000 = $60 billion
- “For some, $100 might be too much to give. We have students from the diaspora. They can donate $10. 1,000,000 Nigerian students / Diaspora youth donating $10 will be $10,000,000 = 6 Billion Naira. Some can afford to give $10 a week.
- “It is reported that there are 15 million Nigerians in the Diaspora. Can we have another 1,000,000 Diaspora Nigerians who can contribute $1 a week to the #PeterObiCampaignFund every week until the election? You read correctly. it’s $1 per week which will be $1M per week.
- “Let me repeat that the #PeterObiCampaignFund must be created by Peter Obi himself. He can assign his team and get started. He will be held responsible. The team in charge must be trustworthy with a weekly final report to the public. At least 3 signatories for withdrawal.
- “There must also be a team that checks and approves all projects to ensure the money is used wisely. This team must consist of incorruptible people with character and street/market smarts. Not the ones who are told the billboard is a billion and they approve.
- “As Nigerians in the Diaspora donate to #PeterObiCampaignFund, Nigerians in Nigeria will not be left out either. Let’s start with the market woman who believes in Peter Obi and can donate 100 naira a week! between them will be 100,000,000 weekly!
- “There are Nigerians who can donate 1,000,000 a week to #PeterObiCampaignFund. Some will just earn $5,000 a month until the election. 1,000,000 donating 1,000 a week will be 1 billion a week. That will be 4 billion per week
- “Donating to the #PeterObiCampaignFund isn’t just about the money. It’s about investing in passion! 1 million people is about 27,000 people from each of the 36 states. Some states will have more than others. Lagos State fit vex gives 1 million people.
- “The campaign fundraising dinner can be held in Abuja, Lagos and PH. This is where you have the big boys and the big girls. Some can donate 100m without batting an eyelid. Our 1k is still strong! We all invest. Putting our money where our votes are.
- “Imagine the friendly competition we will have to represent our different places of residence by making a donation. We can even put our states of residence to show where from. FCT for those of us in Abuja.
- “There must be a serious responsibility. Nigerians have been disappointed for too long. There should be a weekly account statement published! It is important not only to be honest, but also to be seen as such.
- “For those who give of their time. A central database should be maintained (which I believe is already underway with the 15 people in each voting unit). I volunteer for my voting unit! Beyond the support group database, there should be a central one.
- “The number of hours people can give, the days and places should be noted and used wisely.
- “Let me end by saying that I am not a process person. If you ask me to execute all of this, I will not be doing a competent job. Strategy is my strength and also connecting with people and motivating people and letting people see another point of view and what may be possible.
What you should know
Over the past few months, since announcing his interest in running for the presidency, former Anambra State Governor Peter Obi has garnered overwhelming support from Nigerians who have expressed their renewed interest in participating in the next general elections.
The news continues after this announcement
The massive support Obi has won on social media is said to have triggered the sudden surge in the number of people seeking to register, as well as those seeking to collect their PVCs to enable them to contest the 2023 elections.
Obi who is now the Labor Party presidential candidate had a week ago announced Senator Datti Baba-Ahmed as his running mate
The news continues after this announcement