National Night Out 2021 events are back with food, games and first responders
Last year, the National Association of Town Watch, the sponsor of National Night Out, recommended that communities postpone events from the traditional first Tuesday of August through October due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many municipalities have not organized events to stem the spread of the coronavirus.
This year, the event is making a big comeback on Tuesday August 3. Traditionally, national evening events include food, games and activities; information from local organizations; apparatus displays; and the opportunity for people to meet with police, paramedics, paramedics and firefighters.
According to the National Association of Town Watch, “National Night Out improves relationships between neighbors and law enforcement while bringing back a true sense of community. In addition, it provides a great opportunity to bring the police and neighbors together under positive circumstances. “
Here are some events in central Pennsylvania:
- Newville Police Department, 27 W. Big Spring Ave., 6 to 8 p.m. at the fountain. Equipment displays, first responders, free food, music, games and inflatables for children.
- Silver Spring Twp. will host an event from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Stony Ridge Park, 50 Bernheisel Bridge Road, featuring the Police Department, Fire Department, Ambulance and Parks and Recreation Department. It includes free burgers, hot dogs, and water; bike rodeo and bike safety information, bike gifts, Kidsight vision screenings, ID cards for children and people with special needs, firefighter’s smokehouse, roadside checks blood pressure with EMS and a human trafficking awareness stand.
In Dauphin County, the commissioners, along with the sheriff’s office and the K9s and the Department of Public Safety will be making stops at several events.
- Derry Twp. Police Department, 6-8 p.m. in the first block of West Caracas Avenue. community groups, businesses, vendors, food and refreshments.
- The Harrisburg Police Department will be hosting an event from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Camp Curtin school sports field, 2900 N. Sixth St. It includes fireworks at 8:30 p.m., the chance to meet police and other first responders, over 50 community partners, a free concert by DJ Godfather Cornell Corley, Harrisburg High School cheerleaders, Pennsylvania State Police helicopter, ice cream Free Italian from Rita, Farm Show milkshakes, food, inflatable games and freebies.
- The Highspire Borough Police Department event is 6 to 9 p.m. at Memorial Park, 50 Lumber St. It includes nonprofits, community groups and churches.
- The Hummelstown Borough Police Department event will take place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Schaffner Park, Popular and Water Streets with food, games, a chance to meet first responders and a parade of flashlights.
- Lower Paxton Twp. will be holding an event from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at George Park with first responders, games, food and activities.
- Lower Swatara Twp. The Police Department and Fire Company will be holding an event from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Fire Station, 1350 Fulling Mill Road.
- Swatara Twp. The Police Department will host an event from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Vanatta Park behind 7-Eleven on Derry Street. Free food, games and activities, community groups, businesses, churches, nonprofits and vendors.
- Susquehanna Twp. The Police Department and other emergency service organizations will host an event from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Susquehanna Twp. The high school with selfie / kiss booth with K9 Augie police and Sarah’s ice cream will be sold.
- The Northern Dauphin Human Services Center is sponsoring a multi-location event that will include the Berrysburg Firefighters Parade at 7 p.m. at the Berrysburg Fire Department. Events include emergency vehicle displays, a blood drive, and house coloring / decorating and reading contests.
- The Lititz Borough Police Department will be hosting an event from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Tree House Playground, 300 W. Orange St. It will include food, bounce houses, a mechanical bull and an opportunity to meet the first responders.
- Canton of Manheim. Police will host an event from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the driving range at Overlook Golf Course with Bailey Run music, food, games and a cornhole tournament.
- North West Regional Police from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Township of West Donegal. building, 1 municipal promenade. Fire trucks, police cars, EMS vehicles, snow cones, food, milkshakes, face painting, pony rides, bounce house, reptiles, Star Wars characters.
COUNTY OF LEBANON
- South Londonderry Twp. The Police Department will be holding their event from 5 pm to 8 pm at Buck Swank Stadium at Palmyra High School, 50 W. Cherry St. (rain date is August 4). Jake Nguyen will perform from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. A candy race will take place at 6:30 pm Also included are Farm Show milkshakes, a climbing wall, games and prizes.
- Ickesburg Fire Company on Fire Company grounds from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. In attendance will be Landisburg EMS, Perry County Sheriff’s Department, Pennsylvania Game Commission and State Police. It also includes activities for children and refreshments.
- The Landisburg Volunteer Fire Company will host an event at 6 p.m. at 301 Faculty Avenue with refreshments. Visitors can view the company’s new brush truck and meet some of the firefighters.
- The Newport Fire Department will be hosting an event from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Newport Veterans Memorial Park. Those present will be able to climb into the firefighter’s ladder truck. There will also be makeup, food, community service organizations, gifts and music from Kas and Denny Heckard.
- Fairview Canton. The police department will organize neighborhood events instead of a large event “for more personal interactions”. Officers and staff will be at Green Lane Farms Park and Lewisberry Borough Park at 6:00 p.m. and Fairview Park and Woodbridge Farms Park at 7:00 p.m. Officers will be on site for 30 to 45 minutes. Some documents will be available, including Frisbees, Child ID Kits, and gun locks.
- Newberry Twp. The Police Department will be hosting an event from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at BAPS Motor Speedway. Includes free food, entertainment, prizes and fireworks as well as a demonstration of children’s ID kits and raffles.
- The North York County Regional Police Department will be hosting an event from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Union Fire and Hose Company, 30 E. Canal St., Dover. The police will cook and serve burgers and hot dogs. Also includes other food vendors and a free Dave Bray USA concert. Everything at the event is free and is open to anyone living in Conewago Township, Dover Township, Dover Township, Franklin Township, Heidelberg Township, Jackson Township, Manchester Township, Manheim Township, Township of North Codorus, Township of North York and Township of Paradise.